Monday, April 7, 2014

Review: TurboTax Online 2014 (for 2013 tax)

It cost me just under $100 for TurboTax to file my 2013 taxes, about how much it would have cost me to pay for an accountant.

I am not a huge fan of the new layout at first. It was a little confusing on what I needed to do with the edit or add portion. This was confusing because it said that it was importing my data from 2012 tax season. Then I get to this screen with all my information with 2012 and 2013 data where the 2013 data was empty (because I have not fill in any information yet). When I click on each item, I only had options to edit or remove. Nothing has changed from last year, and I have to enter the information again?

It is kind of a pain that my employer is yet to have their payroll automatically pulled from TurboTax. I was also not sure what to put in when it asked me if I moved since the last filing because I did move but it was this year.

It was hugely convenient that Scottrade was one of the available companies to import data from because I have made many trades in the last few months. This was nice because it was able to separate the DIV from the INT and from my long term trades. The confusion was a bit on the long term trades because there was a lot of extra pages that were not pertinent from Scottrade. With the auto import, I was able to figure out what the fields were for... eventually.

Otherwise, the whole process took me about 1 hour to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment