Monday, September 26, 2022

Work Life: Someone asks you to do what was already done?

Scenario Part 1:

A manager just asked me to put in the steps to execute a script.


Version 0: "Execute scripts from ticket XXXX"

Version 1: "Execute scripts in ticket XXXX"


In my mind: Was that not originally clear enough? But I am not going to push back because I just pushed back on a minor detail a minute prior because I do not believe they needed to go through me. My process requires many steps. The other process takes one, maybe two. So I just make a change.


Scenario Part 2:

The manage asks me to include a link to the ticket.


Version 1: "Execute scripts in ticket XXXX"

Version 2: "Execute scripts in ticket XXXX (http://domain.tld/XXXX)


In my mind: The ticket id is already there, why need the link. Description doesn't linkify the link either so the user still has to put in the id or full url which IMO the id is way easier. Also the URL can break for example our ticketing system migrated and changed url so that would have broken. But all the ticket id are still the same and would still work.


Scenario Part 3:

The PM pulls all of us into a call to discuss the status. The last few messages in the same group chat created by the PM:

Me: Need rollback scripts from A

Me: Need tester to confirm test from B

Me. Need manager to approve ticket C


(In the call)

PM: What is the status?

Me: (reading off the chat)

PM: Ok. How do we make this move forward?

Me: ???????????????


In my mind: Do you want me to read the list again?


Scenario Part 4:

Everyone is finally synced. So I really wanted to know what the manager thought, so I showed in my screen with the original values to see what he thought.

Manager: Looks good

In my mind: Did you even view the ticket before asking the questions?


I put back the additional info before submitting the ticket. 


Scenario Part 5:

My process took took maybe 5 minutes include the above conversation. At the end of the call...


Everyone: Thanks, you did a great job?

Me: Thank you (for the unneeded job security)


In my mind: For making it harder for everyone? The other process was basically my last step but by a person from a different team who has the authority to execute without all the extra bureaucracy.

I was the only one thanked. And why am I the only one being singled out? The devs did more work. Analyst had to do the testing with no real test environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment