Saturday, August 20, 2016

2 smaller workouts VS 1 big workout (part 2)

Near the end of last month, I walked about 50000 steps in a single day. I was near 40k steps before my volleyball game. That day was also one of the hottest and most humid days. After a couple of intense points, I was breathing very hard and I can feel my heart rate really pounding. Even after the match and sitting for half hour, my heart rate was still pretty high. Some time during that day, I think I injured my knee. I didn't notice it was sore until the next day, and my knee is still sore today (~2 weeks).

Because of this, I went back to a single workout days. My weight has maintained the same throughout the 2 weeks. One difference to the previous 1-day workout was that I only walked but extended to 1.5 - 2 hours which included more weight lifting. Although I maintained weight, I did notice that my upper body becoming ever so slightly more lean. The first indication was that my arms can now touch more of my sides.

My knee has improved a little. It feels most sore after my body has cooled down (especially when I wake up). Once I have warmed up, the soreness goes away. I can feel my knee when I jog (around 6mph), feels fine around 5mph. I only did this for a minute just to test my knee. Soreness is worst if I lift my leg, leaving my low leg hanging. I can mitigate some of the pain if I squeeze the sides of my kneecap. Fortunately, I was able to do some jogging this morning in the park. The soreness today is extremely mild except after I get out of the car after driving.

Overall, I think my hypothesis is still that two half workouts are better than a single whole workout. I feel that 30 minutes is a good target for a small workout, and 20 minutes is the minimum for an effective workout. But that does not mean to avoid moving if you have the chance if you only have 5-10 minutes, or to stop after 30 minutes if you have more time.



Reference
http://douglastclee.blogspot.com/2016/07/2-smaller-workouts-vs-1-big-workout.html

No comments:

Post a Comment