Friday, October 14, 2022

Work Life: Are Software Developers who cannot follow simple directions any good?

Completely limited to my personal experience, I just do not understand developers who cannot follow simple directions. Part of our setup is to create a GitHub account. Majority of our developers cannot follow the simple corporate step: ID is to be first-last-companyName

I am not including the "what do I do here?" or "what do I put here?" One of the steps is to create an id which is simple [first name]-[last name]-[company name] where company name was masked for this blog. There are even a couple examples on what it would look like. There have also been a couple where I emphasized this step, and STILL I see a different id. I lost count of how many brain cells or hours wasted wrapping my brain around this. The latest being that the person did not include a dash between first and last.

THEN... when I point this out to them, they ask "how do I change it?" And right at the end of the exact same step that they probably did not read are the steps on how to rename your id in case you did it wrong.... BESIDES that it is a globally known site which they should just embarrassingly just Google search. Do they have no shame and having to ask me?

Is this my only story? Oh no no. From my personal experience, I find that good developers have all followed instructions very well. Not always perfect but there is definitely a level of difference. There is a level of attentiveness to detail. I am starting to wonder if it is just better to make interviews about just creating accounts to follow instructions... but then I guess the recruiter will figure this out and train their clients.

My favorite is one developer claiming that he has an OCD in being a perfectionist and his work was by far the worst, littered with mistakes everywhere besides what I would claim to be more like perfectionists. He is a native English speaker and only that one language. His emails come out worse than all our internationals combined. Much less things like proper upper-case, consistent spacing, etc. that I wouldn't expect even with  English speakers but would for an actual perfectionist.

So what? What's the big deal?

I have come up with my own person bias that these developers make all sorts of errors in the most inconvenient places that I just do not find from "good" developers.
  • Folder names with accidental double spaces
  • Spelling errors
    • lable vs label
    • manger vs manager
  • 1 vs l vs I
    • the number vs small L vs big i
  • Terrible backup files or variables
    • renaming files with bkp, old, etc.
    • Inconsistencies with renaming backup files
  • Then backing up with same files or variables
    • renaming with bkp_bkp, or bkp2
  • Low problem solving skills
    • Big egos with poor attention to details usually lead to poor problem solving skills... although I am finding problem solving seems to be much harder for others in general
      • Example: We have a password vault. To access this vault you need to have a token. Our developer created a web service with no security to access the password vault. People think our password is protected (which it kind of does) and/but anyone can access this web service. So you can access the resource without a password. Seems everyone was focused on "not needing the password" and not the part where anyone can "access the resource" part.
  • THE WORST?
    • They cannot even identify this problems when I explain it to them (even the spelling errors)
  • EVEN WORSE?
    • I am at the end of the process, meaning analysis, development, code review, QA testing, UAT testing, etc. has already been done. When I bring this up, they will say that it is a minor problem and do not want to fix the problem.
    • AND THEN LATER... I find that someone named it correctly on another server and no several environments are out of sync.

No comments:

Post a Comment