Friday, August 6, 2021

Buggish: Windows calculating time stuck at zero to copy/unzip with windows explorer

Today I've had it. I tried to unzip a file from my local drive to a sub-folder in the same folder and the Windows download window pops up with its calculating. The zip file has around 20 files with each no more than a few kilobytes.

The popup just stayed at 0% for at least 15 minutes with the animation still running like it is thinking. I read a post that it should still be doing the activity while it is calculating but this is definitely not happening on a Windows 10 as I only see a single file in the sub-folder. After I cancel, all I see is that one file.

I do not know why this happens. This is not the first time. I have this issue with copying files from folder to folder. It is also kind of random with a small number of files, maybe under 10 files. Usually it will eventually copy/unzip/move. But the calculate time takes way, way, way longer than the actual action so what is the point of calculating the time?

I downloaded 7-zip and unzipped the files then canceled the windows unzip which was still calculating. So I waited 15 minutes, download another app, did the same activity that I originally requested, and checked the files before the calculate even reached 1%.

If it is something holding it up, it should either fail quickly or at least explain why it is taking forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment