Monday, June 16, 2014

Buggish: SharePoint 2010 - Unable to filter lookup through Designer

After what I think was an update (see recent problem with SP), I noticed different behavior with the lookup. For some reason, I am not longer able to filter the lookup by creating a calculated field. In the past (I am pretty sure that I tested this), I had created a calculated field which was used for the lookup. When the calculated field was empty, the lookup only had values that I wanted to be shown (by ignoring blanks).

Now that I am trying to implement this into our production site, this option is no longer there. Going back to my test site, this option is also not there either. It has been a couple months since I last touched this so my memory on this is a bit fuzzy. The columns that I thought was referencing the lookup, now only references the main column that the lookup was calculated on. The update should not have done this automatically because the calculated field could have potentially had multiple fields. It may be possible that the admin had subjectively updated the fields appropriately which may be why the site was down for a couple hours.

Overall, this is still all just speculation. I wish there was more update from the SharePoint admin team on what is being done. One would imagine that the SharePoint team would be at least one of the teams that maintains a site with the updates. Also at the end of the day, I can no longer use a lookup on a calculated field. I do not have access to the server, so I cannot use the other options... and still wishing that I could just build an app which I think I could still create faster.