Friday, August 29, 2014

Life: Are You a Mosquito Magnet?

I used to be bitten more frequently than most people, but there are certain people that seem to keep them away from me. Recent years, I have also been bitten less often than before.

My mom's unsourced knowledge that eating more meat causes the blood to be sweeter for mosquitos. I have learned that her wisdom are usually unfounded. But for some reason or other, most of what she says works even if the reasoning is not true. In this case, I cannot say for sure if this is true or not as my diet is too inconsistent to make a reasonable guess. I suppose the easiest way to judge this is that vegetarians would be less likely to be bitten when around other people. Given other factors, this may or may not provide any concrete information.

From a video (reference 1), 20% of people are more likely to be bitten by mosquitoes. Some factors it lists are: Vigorous exercising (due to higher body temperature and sweat), being more fragrant, exhaling more carbon dioxide, being pregnant, blood type (from more likely to less likely: O, B, then A), wearing certain colors (black, blue, and red), and drinking beer 12 oz.


Reference

1 - http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/08/people_attracting_mosquitoes_alcohol_blood_type_and_more_reasons_some_people.html

No comments:

Post a Comment