Wednesday, July 10, 2024

IIS using unexpected (incorrect) Integrated Windows Login

This has just recently become a major problem for me because I created an app that uses the Windows login to access my intranet web tool. For some reason, it was accessing an admin account that I also use instead of my logged in user.

I found this really strange because I never put in the password. I tried to clear my cookies and rebooted my machine, yet somehow it retains my admin account.

I spent an hour figuring this out eventually giving up and worked on something else. Then somehow which seems almost randomly, I thought about checking the credential manager.

Solution

I use the credential manager to manage my user and password for different network solutions. At my place, they use a different login to access these resources for security purposes. I find it such a pain because a few applications are not designed for this scenario. I put in the network folder, user, and password so I thought this couldn't be the solution but I had nothing else to try.

I did notice on closer inspection that it changes the network path \\servername to just servername. I just removed the one related to my tool and suddenly my tool was working as expected again.

No comments:

Post a Comment