Friday, August 2, 2024

Life: Why I haven't had a BofA credit card

My first "main" bank account was with what is now Chase. Life at Chase was perfectly uneventful. Then I moved to a location where Chase was less popular before the Fin crash of '08, and I got myself a BofA account because a branch was the closest one.

So many things were not automated like paying my credit card. At first, I thought it was because it wasn't the bank's credit card. So I suffered through that and eventually I moved again where Chase was more readily available and basically stopped using BofA.

Years later, technology is advancing more beyond my mom's capabilities so I started managing her bills. One of those was for a BofA credit card. She also has a BofA account and is now years later. At this time, you kind of could pay through some other payment system but it cannot pay the full credit card amount. You can only specify the minimum or a fixed amount. Just baffling to me that I had all these capabilities from Chase so long ago.

What a suffering that was to manage for my mom. She would get frustrated on trying to pay online. Because she was no longer getting paper bill, she doesn't remember to pay. I have been on several support calls with BofA to waive the late fee. BTW, BofA support was wonderful except for the waiting part. It is basically the only reason my mom is still with BofA to this day (also doesn't hurt that they finally eventually caught up technology-wise).

Now it is finally on full auto-pay and we are all happy except my mom still would like the paper bill but we convinced her it is greener this way. She is also a bit more tech-savvy now (or maybe that I am now physically farther than my sibling).

Any case, posting this as a reminder the importance of first-to-market or at least keep up with the competition within a reasonable amount of time. Chase and BofA are now relatively close to me but the memories have kept me away from BofA even though they now look modern (and possibly more advanced than Chase... wouldn't know since I haven't tried again since then). 

No comments:

Post a Comment